Just Right Lenten Recipes
We’ve all been there; Friday night, sitting around the dinner table staring down at a plate of bland, boring fish sticks. Not even tartar sauce can help spice up the plate!
That’s where SHOP ‘n SAVE comes in. These healthy recipes are easy to make and are bursting with flavor! Try one (or all of them) these next couple of Fridays!
Bean Enchilada Casserole:
Rich in protein and fiber, this dish is as filling as it is delicious.
Source: Ready Set Eat
- Essential Everyday Cooking Spray
- 1 can (10 oz.) Essential Everyday enchilada sauce
- 1 pkg (12 oz.) Essential Everyday frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 can (16 oz.) Wild Harvest Organic Refried Beans
- 12 Essential Everyday soft corn tortillas (6 in.)
- 1 can (15 oz.) Wild Harvest Organic Premium Whole Black Beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) Essential Everyday Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups Essential Everyday shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread half of enchilada sauce in bottom of dish. Cook corn in microwave according to package directions, using minimum cook time.
- Spread about half of refried beans on 6 tortillas. Place tortillas, bean-side up, over sauce in dish, overlapping to fit.
- Stir together remaining enchilada sauce, corn, black beans and undrained tomatoes in large bowl.
- Spread half of corn mixture over tortillas in dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- Repeat layering with remaining refried beans and tortillas, corn mixture and remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake 35 minutes or until hot in center and bubbly around edges. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into 8 pieces.
Crab and Corn Chowder
Don’t be intimidated, this chowder is actually very simple to make. Serve it with some fresh baked bread from your local SHOP ‘n SAVE bakery and you’ll wish your bowl never ended.
Source: Red CookBook
- 4 tablespoons Essential Everyday unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups SHOP ‘n SAVE whole milk
- 3/4 cup lump crabmeat
- 1 cup Essential Everyday whipping cream
- 2 poblano chili peppers, roasted and diced
- 1 can chipotle chili
- Wild Harvest Black Pepper
- Wild Harvest Sea Salt, to taste
- Chopped fresh thyme or cilantro
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring often until soft, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and add corn kernels, water and cornstarch. Blend until smooth. Melt remaining butter in same pan.
- Add puree and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add milk and heat to a simmer. Cover partially and simmer 15 minutes, stirring often. Strain soup, pressing on solids to remove as mush liquid from the corn as possible.
- Return strained mixture to pan and add crab, cream, poblano chilies, chipotle chili and salt. Heat to a simmer.
- Serve hot, garnished with thyme or cilantro. Makes 4 cups.
Fish Friday Tuna Burgers
Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. These burgers will be a hit at the dinner table. Treat them just like you would a regular burger and load on the toppings!
- 1 (7 oz.) pouch tuna in water, drained and juice reserved
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped celery with leaves
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup dry Essential Everyday bread crumbs
- 2 slices day-old bread, cubed
- 1 pinch Essential Everyday garlic powder, or to taste
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons Wild Harvest olive oil
- Mix drained tuna, onion, celery, egg, bread crumbs, bread cubes, garlic powder, salt and black pepper in a bowl. If mixture is too dry to hold together, stir in reserved tuna juice, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Divide mixture into fourths and shape each portion into a patty.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and pan-fry the patties until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Drain patties on paper towels.
These recipes are sure to be a hit at dinnertime, but they also make a hearty lunch. We hope you enjoy these Lenten recipes!