It’s Time to Get Grilling!
The sun’s out, birds are chirping and the coals are burning. That’s right. It’s grilling season at SHOP ‘n SAVE. We’re sharing our best tips for the juiciest meat and the tastiest veggies. And remember, you can always get grilling advice and the freshest meats from your local SHOP ‘n SAVE butcher.
Grill ‘n Chicken:
Grill ‘n Pork:
- Go with thighs. Dark meat stays moist and can take the dry heat of the grill better than white meat. Stop by your local SHOP ‘n SAVE to pick-up Amish All Natural Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs.*
- Amp up the flavor. Coat the chicken with a bold spice including Wild Harvest® organic 4-color peppercorn. Let it sit covered in the refrigerator for an hour or two.
- Cook ‘em slow. Grill the chicken over indirect heat. Putting the meat over the cooler side of the grill cooks your thighs evenly and ensures they won’t burn.
- Glaze it. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, slather on a sugar-based sauce, like the Essential Everyday® Hickory Smoked BBQ Sauce*, to one side of the chicken pieces. Close the lid for five minutes to let the sauce bake in, then repeat the process with the other side.
- Char it. Finally, put the thighs over direct heat to add delicious light charring and caramelize the glaze.
Grill ‘n Burgers:
- Keep it simple. Start with boneless center cut pork loin chops.
- Season well. Rub your pork with some salt, pepper and Wild Harvest organic garlic powder. You can also use a Zesty Italian dressing for a marinade (just make sure to pat dry, wet pork doesn’t brown, and you need the browning for flavor).
- Sear ‘em good. Place the pork chops on the hottest part of the grill. We want to sear these pork chops and cook them quickly.
- Turn twice. Rotate the chops a half turn to get those nice grill marks. They’re done when just a hint of pink remains at the center. Serve ‘em hot with flame grilled apple slices and onions.
Grill ‘n Veggies:
- A better burger. An amazing burger is nice ‘n juicy when you bite into it. So opt for fresh 80% Certified Ground Chuck.
- Add-ins add up. Throw in some Parmesan and Wild Harvest organic extra-virgin olive oil to kick up the flavor and keep your burgers moist.
- Give ‘em a crust. Grill the burgers over high heat to get a nice char on the outside. Don’t worry, the olive oil will keep them from drying out.
- Toast the buns. Place them directly on the grill to add some crunch and top with your favorite condiments.
- Asparagus. Wash and cut off the woody stems.
- Season ‘em. Roll the spears back and forth in olive oil so that the entire stalk is coated. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Kick it up. Add minced garlic, parmesan and sesame seeds to add flavor and texture.
- Keep it simple. Skewering groups of asparagus spears together makes them easier to flip on the grill.
- Don’t overcook. The slender shoots should turn out crisp and bright in color with delicious caramelized brown spots.
- Bonus tip: before throwing them on the grill, wrap your asparagus in some thick sliced bacon for added flavor.
* see select SHOP ‘n SAVE stores for product details